All items are things that Jill already owns and uses. No endorsements. No gimmes. Just stuff that truly does make Jill’s little heart happy.
How are items selected for Happy Things?
MARCH 2, 2017
If I could live in my light-weight sweatshirt from Persimmon Prints everyday, I totally would. As a tall girl, I love that the length is appropriate for my sleeves and waist. And so, so soft! Plus I love God-fearing women doing really great things.
Every night for “tuck-in time,” we’ve added this new feature: pulling up the Joshua Project Unreached app on my find to pray for a people group around the world that doesn’t know Jesus. They give ways to pray, what the group needs, and how many of the people know Jesus. Awesome and yet we’ve got so much work to do friends!
Our girls have tangles. I tell you this because I let the girls watch Jelly Telly while I fix their hair. This has solved the complaining about knots and blow-drying. There are so many quality shows to choose from. The girls love it for the distraction, and I love it for the content.
JANUARY 13, 2017
I am a podcast junkie. Here are three of my favorites for Achievers, those who lean more on self and less on the God of amazing grace. Not sure how to listen to a podcast? If you’re an Apple user, go to the App Store and search for the Podcasts app.
Grit-n-Grace is for perfectionists who believe that whatever they do is not good enough, that they try too hard to do too much for too many with too little for too long, and they work so hard to keep everyone else happy, your own needs go unmet. Any and every episode is fabulous!
Rob Bell is a go-to when I do hills. He’s funny, engaging and helps me see things from a different perspective. Make sure to check out Episode 66: Good vs. Perfect.
Breakaway Ministries is non-denominational Bible Study on the campus of Texas A&M University. The teaching is always engaging, relevant (even to the non-college student) and Bible-based. Achievers, check out the November 4, 2016 episode featuring Matt Chandler with The Village in Dallas.
OCTOBER 14, 2016
It is important to me that our kids learn about different countries and cultures. WHY? Maybe they’ll be missionaries one day. We love Around the World Stories, a service that emails audio stories that we listen to in the car. Makes car trips go by so much faster and they are learning about life outside of the US.
In the fall, I look forward to connecting with my people. It is such a privilege to to connect to others, to be encouraged by others, to be prayed for by others, and to learn more about Jesus through community with others. I attend a small group at church and attend Bible Study Fellowship, one of my all-time favorite things ever. Are you in a small group or a Bible study? I strongly encourage you to surround yourself with like-minded women who love Jesus!
On my Monday morning runs, I listen to Heather McFadyen’s GodCentered Mom podcast. The picture below sums up who she is: fun, funny, honest, and vulnerable. I feel like I’m listening to a friend who has done all the research to help me navigate loving and leading my children as I am loved and am led by Christ.
SEPTEMBER 8, 2016
- For those of us who journal, I love this Paper Sunday journal that inserts your name into Scripture. It is amazing what it does to your heart to see your name in God’s word. I have given these journals, with multiple cover options, to friends for birthdays and graduations. It’s a go-to gift in my book.
- I’m an extrovert who kinda barrels through life. The Good Bad Real Life journal causes me to slow down, reflect on the day, and see ways God has been with me.
- My husband and I dated for six years prior to getting married, and married life was still crazy and new. If you’re a newlywed or have newlywed friends, direct them to Wedshock, a website that supports newlyweds in an honest and helpful way while they’re experiencing the highs and lows of new marriage. There’s more to marriage than happily ever after.
AUGUST 24, 2016
Here are some things, ideas, books that are making my heart happy right now:
- I love this site for mom tips and fashion help. Lord knows that if it’s not on a mannequin, I don’t know how to make it work. Ginger makes it easy at GB2Creative.com.
- Slowly, and by slowly I mean after six years, I have given away my beloved, beautiful suits and replaced them with ultra-soft, loose tees. My new favorite tee comes from Honey Bee Boutique.
- Oh, for the non-crafter how awesome it is to know a really good crafter, an artist. We have three unique designs from Pollie Pie decorating our home. And I couldn’t love them anymore.